IN PERSON! WRS Introductory Course – July 11-13
This course provides participants with an overview of the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) 4th Edition curriculum and serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification. Over three consecutive days (16.5 hours), this course examines how WRS addresses the teaching of phonemic awareness, word identification, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension through an integrated study of phonology, morphology, and orthography with students in grade two and above with persistent phonological coding deficits.
|Dates:||Monday-Wednesday, July 11-13, 2022|
|Time:||9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. EST|
|Location:||90 Airport Road
|Additional info:||A continental breakfast and light lunch will be provided.|
|Note re. PayPal payments:||Cancellation of orders placed via PayPal are subject to a 6% processing fee.|
This course provides participants with an overview of the Wilson Reading System® (WRS) 4th Edition curriculum and serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification. Over three consecutive days (16.5 hours), this course examines how WRS addresses the teaching of phonemic awareness, word identification, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension through an integrated study of phonology, morphology, and orthography with students in grade two and above with persistent phonological coding deficits.Participants learn about reading research, dyslexia, appropriate student identification and placement, program implementation, progress monitoring, scheduling, and creating a successful learning environment. Principles of language structure and how to teach language with direct, multisensory methods are demonstrated and practiced during the course. Participants explore the standard 10-part Wilson Lesson Plan and practice planning and delivering a lesson while receiving modeling and feedback from a Wilson® Credentialed Trainer during the course.
At the completion of the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Define dyslexia and describe common characteristics.
- Explain the process of identifying appropriate students and placing them in the Wilson Reading System.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential and cumulative, engaging multiple learning modalities with multisensory techniques, repetition, and feedback.
- Create an optimal learning environment, prepare a lesson plan, and practice techniques.
- Understand the key components of instruction and presentation of lessons in three blocks:
- Block 1 – Word Study/Foundational Reading Skills: Lesson Plan Parts 1-5: Phonemic Awareness, Decoding, Vocabulary, High Frequency Word Reading, Single-Word Accuracy/Automaticity, Phrasing/Prosody, Fluency and Comprehension at the Sentence Level
- Block 2 – Spelling/Foundational Writing Skills: Lesson Plan Parts 6-8: Phoneme Segmentation, Encoding (Spelling), English Spelling Rules, High Frequency Word Spelling, Vocabulary, Concept Mark Up, Sentence-Level Punctuation and Proofreading
- Block 3 – Fluency/Comprehension: Lesson Plan Parts 9-10: Vocabulary, Listening/Silent and Oral Reading Fluency and Comprehension, Narrative and Informational Text
Participants may enroll in the WRS Level I Certification Training or the online course WRS Intensive Instruction for the Non-Responsive Reader (Steps 1-6) within five years of completing a WRS Introductory Course.
Professional Development Graduate Credit
One graduate credit (optional) is available through Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA upon completion of course requirements.
CANCELLATION / REFUND POLICIES
For public workshops conducted by LTR Tutoring Associates, LLC: Payment is required in the form of PayPal, Purchase Order or Check before the event and is processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Tuition includes access to training handouts. Materials for program implementation are sold separately directly from Wilson Language Training. Tuition is fully refundable with notification up to 2 weeks prior to the event date. Cancellation within the 2 weeks prior the event will incur a fee that may equal the purchase of the ticket/seat. After a purchase a confirmation email will be sent with event details.
While we make every effort to conduct professional learning events on the dates and locations advertised, they are subject to change without prior notice. LTR reserves the right to change or cancel a professional learning event due to low enrollment or factors beyond our control and will refund the cost of the tuition. We will attempt to notify registrants to limit customer inconvenience, but we are not liable for any additional expenses incurred.
Reserve Seats for this Workshop
Number of people you wish to register for this workshop:
30 in stock
By reserving a seat for this training, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions specified in the Cancellation / Refund Policies section on this page.