|Date(s):||Tuesday, October 8, 2019|
|Time:||9 a.m. – 3 p.m.|
|Location:||90 Airport Road, #5
Concord NH 03301 Directions
|Additional info:||A continental breakfast is available at 8:30 and a light lunch will be provided at noon.|
Fundations’ research-based approach and extensive program materials allow K-3 teachers to present a carefully structured reading and spelling curriculum using multisensory techniques. Fundations thoroughly teaches the foundational skills, and significantly supports reading, writing, speaking, and language standards found in states’ rigorous college- and career-ready standards, including the Common Core State Standards. It addresses all five areas of reading instruction with an emphasis on systematic phonics and word structure.
The Fundations Level 1 Workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Fundations Level 1 curriculum in a Tier 1 setting.
Upon completion of the course, participants are able to:
- Grasp the background knowledge and understand the research base supporting the why and how of Fundations instruction.
- Identify the skills taught in Fundations Level 1: phonemic awareness; the alphabetic principle; sound mastery; ways to form the key linkages-letter name, formation and sound; phonics and word study; vocabulary; high frequency/trick words; fluency; comprehension strategies; manuscript handwriting, spelling, and punctuation.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities with multisensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
- Prepare a daily Level 1 learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Build a learning focused classroom by maximizing instructional time, learning lesson activities,using questioning to guide student learning and mastery, and encouraging craftsmanship for optimum outcomes.