|Date(s):||Ongoing – Beginning after August 1, 2018|
|Prerequisite(s):||Participants must have completed the WRS Introductory Workshop within the last five years or by the start of the certification program. Participants should be reasonably comfortable with the use of computers.|
This path to Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Level I Certification involves online coursework and live, web-based practicum observations with a Wilson Trainer. Participants should be comfortable with the use of computers.
WRS Level I Online Certification with Web-Based Practicum involves online coursework and live web-based lesson observations with a Wilson Trainer, and at minimum, a 60-lesson practicum with a student who is ranked in the 5th – 30th percentile in reading and spelling skills.
Level I Completion Requirements*
- Completion of the WRS Online Word Study Course (WRS Steps 1-6) within 12 months
- Practicum: 1:1 Student Instruction with a minimum of 60 lessons of instruction with a lesson plan written for each lesson (student must be approved by Wilson Trainer)
- Completion of Technology Walk-Through Appointment with assigned Trainer
- Five Teacher / Student Observations via Skype as scheduled by the Wilson Trainer (each observation approximately one hour in length)
- Submission of all required paperwork associated with observation appointments as outlined in the web-based Practicum Observations Participant Guide
- Pretesting report, including educational history and current test results of practicum student
- Development of teacher’s and student’s notebook and student’s written work in accordance with WLT program standards
- Demonstration of mastered lesson plan procedures (documented by Wilson Trainer)
- Demonstration of understanding of language concepts through accurate teaching with multisensory procedures
- Demonstration of student success and mastery of decoding/encoding skills
- Posttesting and submission of practicum student report after a minimum of 60 lessons and achievement of WRS Step 4.2
Level I Practicum Student Selection Criteria
- Student entering grades 4-12 (grade 3 approved if student has been retained)*
- Overall cognitive ability in average range (minimum IQ = 80)
- Overall reading must be ranked in the 5th – 30th percentile.
- Student’s listening comprehension ability is higher compared to independent reading comprehension
- Student has poor decoding and spelling
- Student must be available to be scheduled at minimum three to four 45-minute lessons, two to three 60-minute lessons, or two to three 90-minute lessons (1:1) per week
- The practicum student must not have any previous Wilson instruction
The above criteria should be determined from school records and current testing. Testing for practicum student selection must be recent – completed within the last 6 months. The WIST (Word Identification and Spelling Test) must be used along with a formal reading test. The Woodcock Reading Mastery Tests, WoodcockJohnson® III Tests of Achievement or Diagnostic Reading Battery, or Wechsler Individual Achievement Test® is recommended. A similar individualized reading assessment may be substituted if it provides information regarding decoding, comprehension and total reading.
The practicum situation works best when the selected student has a consistent attendance record and does not have overriding emotional or behavioral issues.
*Note. This requirement that the practicum student be entering grades 4-12 is necessary for the purposes of certified training, so that students can meet other prerequisite requirements.
The practicum student must be approved by Wilson Language Training before instruction begins.
Participants who have demonstrated mastery of the Wilson lesson plan, including multisensory techniques and effective strategies for working 1:1, will receive a WRS Level I certificate. Participants completing this program may represent themselves as WRS Level I certified tutors, but are not qualified as Wilson Trainers.
Professional Development Graduate Credit
Graduate credit is offered through Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA.
Word Study (WRS Steps 1-6) Online Course
|Completion of WRS Steps 1-3 and Topics I|
|3 Graduate Credits||$315|
|Completion of WRS Steps 4-6 and Topics II|
|3 Graduate Credits||$315|
WRS Steps 1-6 Practicum
|Completion of Wilson Level I Practicum|
|3 Graduate Credits||$315|
For WRS Steps 1-3 and 4-6, participants enroll for graduate credit within 60 days after completing the applicable steps, topics, and assessments in the course syllabus (and participating in required threaded discussions).
For the Level I Practicum, participants enroll for graduate credit after completing all practicum requirements, including submission of the Practicum Final Report.
Should you choose to earn credit, you will register directly with FSU.
Technical Requirements for Online Observations
For web-based observations, participants must have a computer system with speakers, an external webcam, and microphone functionality (through computer or integrated into webcam). The computer system must meet the following specifications:
|External Webcam||Hue HD Webcams are recommended and can be purchased online.
Cameras that are integrated into laptops do not serve the needs of online observations.
|CPU||1 GHz processor minimum, 1.5 GHz processor recommended|
|Memory||512 MB RAM|
|Operating System||Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1; MAC OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or higher|
|Disk Space||50 MB minimum required for installation; additional space recommended|
|Connection||USB 2.0 or 3.0 recommended (USB 1.1 compatible)|
|Resolution||800 x 600 Supported; 1024 x 768 or higher recommended V|
|Video/Sound Card||16 bit or higher; DirectX 9.0 or higher required|
These requirements represent minimum specifications provided by the current web-conferencing software designated by Wilson Language Training and are subject to change.